Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Room vs. Keely

  I have four weeks until I move. FOUR WEEKS. Do you know what that means? No? It means packing. It means cutting back on crap you don't need. It means--ugh--decision making. I hate playing favorites with yarn! I hate to part with any yarn or scrap of fabric that I might need in the someday future (but probably not really). So today after I got home from a less than stellar day at work, I walked into my room, placed my hands on my hips, and surveyed all that I ruled over, trying to decide where to start first.

   If my room were a country, it would be the landfill of the world. Or perhaps a hippie country that didn't get the memo that its not cool to leave everything on the floors of your streets. Either way my room is a disaster. I could give a teen a lesson in how to really make your room insanely messy. My bed is probably the cleanest part, as I usually pull the covers up because I love my quilts that I made laying on top of it, and like to show it off to myself. In reality, its probably a volcano waiting to explode. Clothes, yarn, fabric, knitting needles, books, make up, and here and there a knitted blanket carpet my floor. At least the mess is colorful and also soft right!?

     I SHOULD probably start with my books--since I have so many of them--but really, I'm just putting them in trash bags (much more space saving in cars than boxes), and what if there's a book I want to read!? I thought about the yarn, then realized it was going to take time (and lots of it) to decide which ones were going to be voted off the country of Keely. Fabrics are pretty well in hand, as most of them are in bags already and don't need much organizing. The thought of the two boxes in my closet from when I first moved back home called to me, reminding me I probably needed to throw away most of what was in there. But when it dawned on me that doing so meant more decision making I quickly fled my room to the safety of my computer, where the hardest choice  would be which Pandora Station I was going to pick.

    So now I sit here, procrastinating and amusing people at the same time, all the while doing a great job of ignoring the fact that I'm going to have to start packing--and therefor firming the fact that I will be moving in four weeks into the land of the unknown. My only consolation is that the land of unknown is the land of coffee, trees, and beautiful gray skies. So my first decision as president of my country called Room will be clothes and blankets. Because its summer now and I don't need half the blankets on my floor. Although they did make wonderful rugs!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment