Monday, January 10, 2011

An Oldie but a Goodie

Hello fellow bloggers and lurkers that I don't know! Since I have very little interesting things going on in my life, I went through an old account of mine and found a great little story for you all! Now I should warn you, I am a storyteller. I come from a long line of them. And usually stories are not about me, its about the people around me. Because really, they're all much more facinating. But occasionally interesting things happen to me. And this particular one happened when I worked for place run by the Mafia.

I know you think I'm kidding. I'm not. And how cool is that?! So here is the old blog entry, for your amusement!

WORKING: A FASCINATING STORY ABOUT THE MAFIA


You know, working as a hostess to an Italian Restaurant/club/bar is not without its perks. Like, meeting new people who have interesting stories. Or the ones who have too much to drink and then talk really loud, enabling you, the person stuck behind a counter but in front of a bar, to listen quite easily. And because you work 'behind the scenes', are privy to more intimate details from the people who also work there.

For instance, on Saturday night I went into work expecting a club night. But it was not a club night. It was a private party. And they had a band playing. A great band with a Frank Sinatra Singer. And after playing some wonderful songs the band came to the bar to talk and drink. And I, being the friendly person I am, saddled up to the singer to tell him how great I thought he was. And after engaging him into this conversation he says to me,

"You know, I sang here about five years ago."

"Oh really?" Says I, fascinated.

"Yeah. 'Course, back then it looked a little different. You know, " Says Frank Sinatra Singer leaning in close, "Last time I played here it was for a Godfather."

"Nooo!" I say with proper amazement. He however, looks not amazed. "How did you know he was a Godfather?"

"Because they told me, that's why."

And there you have it. There is no secret handshake, no pinstripe suite or bodyguards that might hint that who you are looking at MIGHT be the Mafia. They TELL you. They do not fear you. They do not fear the system! And why should they? Any way, I couldn't help but imagine a man in a pinstripe suite, large and balding, with a fat cigar in his mouth sitting in the lounge. I mean...I know its cliche and also you know, 2008, but all those godfather movies and old black and whites of the mafia seemed to have branded into my head that THAT is how the mafia dress and look. Of course the DON'T, but still.




Stay tuned reader, my next post is also an oldie but a goodie, and it'll make you intrigued and appalled all at the same time! Doesn't that sound like fun!?

No comments:

Post a Comment